Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 10 - Mike & Kristen's Advocare 24-Day Challenge

The cleanse phase is over and our results have been excellent so far! I have lost 13 lbs (from 214 to 201) and Kristen has lost 7 lbs (132 to 125).



Now it's time to begin the Max Phase. This phase will last for the remaining 14 days. For the remainder of this post, I want to talk about the most common question that I've received over the last 10 days, "So what is this 24-Day Challenge? I've noticed what you've been eating. Is this just another low-carb diet?"

I think the best way to describe the 24-Day Challenge is to say that it is a supplement-based weight loss program. The supplements improve your metabolism (burn more calories), increase your energy level, and help provide appetite control. Then, you follow their recommendations for diet modification to facilitate those goals. Finally, like any good weight loss program, they want you to exercise on a regular basis. So the supplements are the engine that drives the weight loss, but then you do your part by improving your dietary habits and working out frequently.

The dietary recommendations are structured in a way that provides a fair amount of flexibility; however, I do not have a ton of imagination, so my meals have been pretty similar on a daily basis. Fruit for breakfast, fruit or the occasional hard-boiled egg for mid-morning snack, salad +/- chicken for lunch, fruit or peanuts for mid-afternoon snack, and chicken with veggies for dinner. What can I say? I'm set in my ways. If you look at the Advocare Shopping Guide though, you'll notice that there are plenty of other options than this.

Eating well will result in weight loss, but not 13 lbs in 10 days. Eating well will make you feel better, but it definitely won't boost your energy level like I've felt these last 10 days, and eating well has never really suppressed my appetite. In the past, after several days my appetite would slow down. But with Advocare my appetite has been in check from day one.

Two other things that I want to mention before I close out this post:

1. I talked to my mom yesterday and she's doing well after 2 days. She said that she can already notice an improvement in her energy level. She has completely weaned herself off of her morning tea and she actually hasn't drank a Spark yet. So she's stopped her usual source of an energy boost (tea), hasn't used Advocare's energy boost (Spark), and she still has more energy after only 2 days on the challenge.

2. The distributor kit comes with extra Spark and some Slam (their version of a 5-hour energy drink). My wife tried a Slam recently and she noticed that she had some flushing on her face. I looked a little closer at the bottle and it contains niacin, which was probably the source of the flushing. Niacin is one of our body's essential nutrients and it has a lot of health benefits (in particular, it improves your HDL level, which is your "good" cholesterol), but it's major side effect when taken as a supplement is flushing. If you're prone to flushing from other exogenous sources of niacin, then I wouldn't recommend using the Slam energy drink.

That's all I've got for today, talk at you more tomorrow!


If you want to explore the Advocare site more for additional details, here's our link:
www.reclaimyourbodyandlife.com

As with every post that I'll make, here's my disclaimer:

I am a physician and protecting my medical career is of paramount importance to me. I have researched the Advocare products thoroughly and my wife and I have chosen to use them for our own personal weight loss endeavor. However, I will not provide an official medical opinion with regards to the safety and efficacy of the products for others. I've put in too many years of hard work to put my medical license at risk. Basically, I've chosen to use Advocare products for myself and you'll have to decide for yourself or consult with your personal physician to figure out if these products are safe for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment