Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 15 - Mike & Kristen's Advocare 24-Day Challenge

Picture day! After multiple requests, I have decided to post pictures of what I look like now. I wasn't planning to take pictures until the end of the challenge, but I have no problem sharing halfway point pictures.




In case the tape measure is hard to read in the new picture, it says 39.5"! So that's 15 lbs and 2.5" lost in 2 weeks! Skinny mini Kristen is still holding steady with a 7 lb weight loss. She measured her waist and, surprisingly, she has cut 2" off of her waist (31" to 29")!



There is one more interesting tidbit that I want to share today. I had an insurance physical performed today and my blood pressure was 104/66 with a resting heart rate of 50 bpm. Those are some pretty perfect vitals. If only my patients all had preoperative numbers like those! I really wish that I had checked my heart rate and blood pressure before the challenge for comparison. I have never had problems with high blood pressure so it's not like that number was any surprise, but I am fairly confident that my resting heart rate probably was higher than that before the challenge (I'm pretty sure it was in the mid 60s the last time that I checked).

As I promised yesterday, here is the new segment that I'm going to add to my posts...

Product of the Day:

Spark Energy Drink

The Spark energy drink is one of the staples of the 24-Day Challenge. Per their website, this is Advocare's #1 seller. On the back of the packet, it is described as "a sugar-free source of long-lasting energy and heightened mental focus and performance." Advocare actually sells Spark in 7 different flavors and you can buy a box of packets or one big cannister. The 24-Day Challenge comes with 2 boxes of Sparks (14 packets per box) with one box of fruit punch Sparks and the other box being mandarin orange Sparks. So far I have tried 5 of the 7 flavors and fruit punch is my favorite. I think the mandarin orange flavor is one of the best as well (so it's a good thing that those are the two that come with the challenge!).

Spark is only 45 calories per serving and is packed with 21 vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. Spark does contain caffeine (180 mg), so I found it to be particularly beneficial during the early days of the challenge while I was "withdrawing" from my Diet Dr. Pepper habit. The energizing quality of the Spark comes from  the caffeine teamed with the multitude of vitamins. The effect lasts a while because of the B vitamins and the mental enhancement appears to come from the amino acids added to the mix.

I think the Sparks are awesome. Since there are 28 packets for a 24-Day Challenge, I try to limit myself to one per day. Early in the challenge I used them to help get me going in the morning. But as the challenge has progressed, my baseline energy level has really improved. So I have been saving the Sparks to drink for the rare times that my energy has waned. But since those times truly have been rare, I've typically been drinking my daily Spark with lunch or dinner because it tastes so good!


If you want to explore the Advocare site more for additional details, here's our link:
www.reclaimyourbodyandlife.com

As with every post that I'll make, here's my disclaimer:

I am a physician and protecting my medical career is of paramount importance to me. I have researched the Advocare products thoroughly and my wife and I have chosen to use them for our own personal weight loss endeavor. However, I will not provide an official medical opinion with regards to the safety and efficacy of the products for others. I've put in too many years of hard work to put my medical license at risk. Basically, I've chosen to use Advocare products for myself and you'll have to decide for yourself or consult with your personal physician to figure out if these products are safe for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment